Michigan National Guard
As mentioned earlier, the strike began on July 23, 1913. By the next day, the Houghton County Sheriff had telegraphed Governor Ferris requesting the aid of State troops. After verifying the situation through local observers, Ferris gave the order to officially send the entire Michigan National Guard to the Copper Country.
By the 25th, the first companies arrived in Calumet and quickly set up camp. Others were soon sent to Quincy, South Range, Baltic, Trimountain and Painsedale locations, and by the 27th, small units were stationed in Mohawk. Within a few days, over 2,700 men were stationed in Houghton County, protecting both life and property during this critical period.
The group of photos here are nearly all from the Calumet area, and include troops sent from down state, and from local Calumet Company A-Corps of Engineers.
Click on the link (or photo) below to go through the series of images...