Jun 05-04

Past-E-Mail: Cam Notes - 2004: June: Jun 05-04
Ruffled feathers    ...scroll down to share comments
Photo by Tom Cook

By
Toivo from Toivola on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 07:58 am:

Mary Drew had us traipsing through the U.P. woods earlier in the week - - looking at flowers and Isle Royale - - so I figured I'd continue the woodsy theme with this shot of a partridge in 'drumming mode'. Tom Cook is the lucky photographer to have captured this spring and sometimes fall ritual. These feathered friends are sometimes called drummers, ruffs, ruffled grouse, or if you live in the New England states: "pah-tridge". The male of the species drums while perched on his favorite log and has been compared to an old one-cylinder tractor starting up slowly, then increasing in speed. It's all created by rapid wing flapping and is a mini-version of a sonic boom! Always a welcomed sound when traversing in the bush.

By Ron, Michigan on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 08:03 am:

Good morning from troll land.
First Post

By tom Mi. on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 08:09 am:

I was never much of a hunter but was startled many times while walking thru the woods up above Hubbell near the Hungarian Dam. They were known to us kids as "pats" and would fly out from under the trees as we passed by. Nice weekend here in southern Michigan and hope to get back "up home" in 3 weeks.

By bill ball...Mi on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 08:18 am:

There is only one time during the year when the public is invited to go out between the locks to see closer how they operate. While sitting here planning my trip to the SOO for Engineers Day celebration on June 25 I saw this book that may be of interest to anyone interested in great lakes shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20216&item=2249016248

By Dom, Germany on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 08:30 am:

Good afternoon, great pic. We always called 'em Pats. Man, that guy could never get his tractor running right -- every few minutes he'd get it slowly started, get it running good and fast, then it'd die out. He spent more time trying to get it running that he did cuttin' wood!! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

By camwatcher on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 09:59 am:

Airport web-cam not working today? Can't get a look at the sky there today...

By Mary Ann, WY on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 10:26 am:

What a great photo! Wish I were there walking through the woods, enjoying nature.

By Dave H. In The Smoky's TN. on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 10:58 am:

My Grandpa Beanie used to make a (Bouya)with Partridge,rabbit,& squirrel meat all in it from the small game that was harvested in the Fall of course.Yooper's know what Vension Bouya is and smells like.Would someone explain to those out there that will be asking what Bouya is other then a soup? Cause i'am not sure myself anymore.And how to pronouce it,and do i have it spelled right?

By Jeff Portland OR on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 10:59 am:

Good morning from Portland,it is rainy and cooler today. To the other Jeff in Eugene who asked me yesterday if I have found any pasty's in Portland, no not yet but I'm still on the search.

By ert, GA on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 11:24 am:

Great picture! Have seen Ruffed Grouse, have heard them, but have never seen one booming. By the way, they are as far south as the GA mountains.

By CCfan on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 11:24 am:

Let's be nice to one another today, eh?

Why just today? :->

By WhiskeyCreek In NC on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 11:43 am: